Monday, December 29, 2014

Tomatillos!


We visited the Prahran market on Christmas Eve, and the first thing I spotted was a tray of tomatillos, fresh and glorious in their papery husks. The guy sold them for about $5/pound, though he was just throwing out a number. He said they would typically be 50¢ each...yikes!

In any case, they've been nestled in the crisper for a few days, but today they finally got turned into a lovely tomatillo sauce. Extra spicy this time...I threw in some Birdseye peppers, bring short on jalapeƱos. 


Who knows when I'll find them again...the seller said it had been 18 months since his last batch, and these were from "someone's backyard." Well, three of my seedlings are hanging in there and getting stronger. Hopefully soon I'll be the one with more tomatillos than I know what to do with!

No comments: